getmail - POP3/IMAP4 mail retriever with Maildir and command delivery
||FreeBSD Ports Latest i386
A POP3 and IMAP4 mail retriever with reliable Maildir and command delivery.
Summary of features:
- Retrieve mail from an unlimited number of POP3/IMAP4 mailboxes and servers.
- Support for POP3-over-SSL and IMAP-over-SSL, as well as SDPS
WARNING: even with SSL, "no certificate or key validation is done." so
that getmail does not detect or protect from man-in-the-middle attacks.
- Support for multidrop or domain mailboxes.
- Safe and reliable delivery to qmail-style Maildirs, as well as program
(pipe) delivery for use with arbitrary external MDAs. Includes an MDA
for mbox files that supports mboxrd format and fcntl-type flock locking.
- Does not destroy information by rewriting mail headers.
- Does not cause mail loops by doing SMTP injection, and therefore does
not require that you run an MTA (like qmail or sendmail) on your host.
- Can remember which mail it has already retrieved, and can be set to
only download new messages.
- Written in Python, and therefore easy to extend or customize.
- Simple to install, configure, and use.
- DOCS: on
- EXAMPLES: on
The getmail rc file (configuration file) format has changed since
version 3.x. If you are upgrading from version 3, you will need
to write a new configuration file based on the contents of your old one.
The new file format resembles the old in many ways.
Each account you retrieve mail from will require a separate rc file,
but getmail can operate with multiple rc files simultaneously
if you wish to retrieve mail from multiple accounts.
Install getmail txz package:
# pkg install getmail